Thursday, August 27, 2009

Finding a Pediatrician

Since moving to Iowa, we've taken the kids in to the doctor several times for viruses, etc. They've been sick quite a bit for us only living here a month, but it seems to have settled down for now.

I don't particularly like the pediatrician that we are going to currently, and so I have been on the lookout and doing interviews trying to find the right doctor for us.

What am I looking for...male, older, conservative, a grand-father, not afraid to tell me what I am doing wrong, and intelligent. Yes, call me chauvinist, but those are all of the things I am looking for in a doctor.

So far, the search hasn't been going well.

1. The first doctor wore hemp sandals and had curly hair that looked like it hadn't been brushed in days. Do I need to say anymore than the word sandals? Not professional!

2. The second doctor was shorter than me. The only person I trust shorter than me is my grandma, other than that, it is just too weird. Also, she speaks to children in a voice so high pitched, only they can hear it.

3. This doctor, when I asked him to tell me his philosophy on pediatrics, said the word stuff three times. Does he not know his own field well enough to have an answer on the tip of his tongue? I would think this is the kind of question you get asked quite often. Also he informed me that he would never tell me what to do...ummm isn't that why I'm going to the doctor in the first place?

Am I being too picky, maybe, but seriously. Is it too much to ask that a doctor wear wingtips, is of normal stature, and can speak properly?

3 comments:

  1. By the way, Rachel posted this without realizing my account was signed in to the computer. She's the short chauvinist. Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an older conservative male grandfather.

    Seriously, though. That sounds like a total pedophile description. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know what you mean. We LOVED ours in Bellevue, and had a hard time finding one out here, but I think we finally did. She asked Johnny to hop on one foot, so he jumped right on hers. She took it well, and knew her stuff, so I think she is going to work!

    ReplyDelete